Depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, you may need to apply for a visa in order to legally enter France. Applications must be submitted to the French consulate in your country of residence.
To obtain contact details for the French consulates abroad, please visit the website of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs.
Your status, rights and obligations will vary depending on your type of visa. It is therefore important to apply for the right kind of visa before your departure.

Non-EU national - "Doctoral student" status

Doctoral students enrolled in France but not employed must apply for a "student" visa. They can only apply for a "passeport talent - chercheurvisa if they have an employment contract under French law in connection with their research work (doctoral contract, CIFRE contract, etc.). In this case, they must ask for a hosting agreement from the host institution.

Non-EU national – "Passeport talent chercheur" status

The hosting agreement is an official document stipulating the nature and duration of the research work to be carried out. It entitles the individual concerned to apply for a "passeport talent-chercheur" visa, whether for a short or long stay.
As the hosting agreement constitutes a work permit, it is essential regardless of the duration of the stay, even if the researcher does not need to apply for a visa. The hosting agreement must be requested from the Euraxess Services Centre at least 2 months before the researcher's arrival.

Residence permit

You must be in possession of a valid residence permit in order to live in France for more than 90 days.
The formalities vary according to your status and visa.

Non-EU national - "Doctoral student" status

Student Reception is open from September for all residence permit renewal requests:
30 rue Etienne-Dolet
63037 Clermont-Ferrand Cedex 1
Tel.: 04 73 34 95 71

Note: All holders of "Student" residence permits enrolled at university in France and in possession of an employment contract with a research body, or having completed their studies and remaining in France for research purposes, must apply for a "Passeport Talent" residence permit.

Non-EU national – "Passeport talent chercheur" status

The French law of 7 March 2016 and decree no. 2016-1456 of 28 October 2016 on the entry, residence and employment of foreigners in France entered into force on 1 November 2016. The hosting agreement is the only document the Prefecture will ask you for in order to issue you with a "Passeport talent chercheur" visa for your stay in France.
The European directive of 12 October 2005 extended this procedure to doctoral students, provided they have an employment contract in France.
Procedures for submitting an application with the Prefecture of the Puy-de-Dôme:

Hosting agreement

A hosting agreement must be established for non-European teaching and research staff working at the University of Clermont Auvergne in order to enable them to obtain a "passeport-talent chercheur" visa or residence permit.

This agreement must be signed by an official representative from the University and stamped by the Prefecture.
The hosting agreement must be requested from the Euraxess Services Centre at least 2 months prior to the individual's arrival.
Please use the official document (L.313-20 4°), obtainable from the EURAXESS Auvergne Services Centre.