European students

Students from Europe (European Union, Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein, and Switzerland) are exempt from visa and resident permit requirements. Only a valid identity card or passport is required.

Non-European students

It is compulsory for Non-European nationals enrolling for the first time in a French university to obtain a long-term visa for stays of more than 3 months in France. You can get information for your visa application on France-Visa.
It is essential for non-EU students registering for a second year of higher education to complete an application for renewal of their resident permit.

Validation of your visa

If you have just arrived in France with a long-stay visa valid as a residence permit ("student" or "passeport talent chercheur"), you must validate your visa online on the following website :

Residence permits

To be able to stay in France for more than 90 days, you must be in possession of a valid residence permit.
The steps to be taken are different depending on your status and the visa you have.

Procedure for the renewal of student residence permits:

Students wishing to renew a visa or residence permit that is still valid must do so online via the following platform:

Please note: you must apply for the renewal of your study permit 4 to 2 months before its expiration.

Students with an expired visa or residence permit, an "unaccompanied minor" visa or residence permit, or a récépissé can’t apply on the platform and must submit a residence permit renewal application to the « Espace d’accueil Etudiants ».